Monday, February 19, 2018

#Microblog Mondays: Maintaining Traditions Without Kids

I don't know why I have felt so busy and exhausted lately, but it just seems like I am half drowning and my go-to action is just gasping for air. It's February break now, and I am so grateful to have a little rest -- although some of that drowning feeling is probably coming from the fact that February Break is really IEP-writing Break.

Wednesday was Valentine's Day. We really don't do anything at all for that holiday except make each other Valentines, but that's been something fun and important over the years and it made it into the Our Traditions spread in our adoption Profile Book.

So this year, when I was real tired and came home relatively late and Bryce was working late and then had a bunch of research things to do, there was the temptation to skip it.

Thank goodness we both were like, NO! There will be no skipping of the Valentine-making, because that becomes a slippery slope and before you know it we've lost our traditions because we're "busy" and there's no profile book to provide picture proof to and there's no children to do it for, and WE WILL NOT SLIDE DOWN THAT SLOPE.

Because we don't have children, I'd argue it's even MORE important to maintain these traditions -- the Christmas tree, the Valentines, the Easter Fun Hunt, the dressing up for Halloween and having the fire pit in the driveway -- these are things that bring joy and family fun to our tiny little family of two. I live in fear of having a "mushy" existence where the days just sort of run together and we float through life, milestoneless, traditionless. It's a bit less of a danger because I work in a school and my calendar year runs September to June and is marked by report cards and breaks and IEP meetings and talent shows and DC trips and 8th grade Luaus, but at home everything could turn into a sort of bland vanilla pudding life.

So we made the Valentines, which came out lovely, and Bryce of course took it wayyy too seriously and made a piece of gorgeous art, while I aspired to have mine look like a 6-year-old crafted them.

I guess that's part of the tradition, too, and I love it.

Bryce discovered the joy of dry embossing, and made me a field of butterflies with butterfly bushes. 
I also dry embossed, but mine was a lot less fancy...
...and a lot more punny. 
Look! A six year old lurking inside a 41 year old made this! I should have drawn the body first because it sort of resembles a mayfly, but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. I'd show the inside because there are more smaller mothlike heart butterflies, but the message is NSFW, ha ha. So it's a card of contradictions.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Jess, they are gorgeous!

    From what I observe, those of us without children often focus more on our relationships than many couples with children, who often put their relationship last. My husband and I go out for a nice dinner for our birthdays and for wedding anniversaries without fail (even if we're sick, we'll go out when we can later), and we're one of the only couples who do that. Actually, now I think of it, the only other couple I know who do that is also one of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, and I love what you said. I agree that we put a lot of energy into the two of us, and a strong point has been that through all we've experienced, we've always nurtured our relationship. I'm glad you do, too! Lovely upside.

      Delete
  2. Hey, so cool! Love that you make each other cards. I had to look up what dry embossing is lol. I liked your dedication to your traditions: it can be easy to just let every day be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, when I moved all my (dusty, unused, neglected) craft supplies from the basement to my new office, I discovered all my dry embossing stuff from years ago, and it is loads of fun to see it take shape. Feels a little surgical in a weird way. :) The traditions are so important! Viva la tradition!

      Delete
  3. I agree 100%, otherwise the passage of time just doesn't have the inherent markers that raising children provides. I made a big deal out of Valentine's, with cards and presents. I read that you need to mark as many occasions as possible and use any excuse for an 'event' in order to slow down time and stop it from being a big amorphous blur. Blimey that card is really good! One thing I'm massively grateful for is a sentimental partner who likes to mark all the occasions with me... who needs kids eh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree (and think I read the same thing somewhere along the line). All these little markers and stopping points are so helpful with not feeling like life is all murky. And I'm so glad you have that sentimental partner!

      Delete
  4. I love these cards! And I love that you are maintaining traditions. I agree with you: it’s a lot harder to do without kids as there isn’t the push to do these activities. But it’s no less important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, yes, yes -- I love having new traditions, too. And the ability to just say no to things that might have come home from school or other kids, like the Elf on A Shelf or Disney. :)

      Delete
  5. These are lovely. I find that it’s the process that gives me joy, that lifts me up. The product is good, too, but sometimes just setting your inner artist free is the thing that brings joy. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two have become one of my favorite couples. Happy belated Valentines Day to people who really do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! We have a good time together. Happy belated Valentine's Day to you, too.

      Delete
  7. I love this! It's a beautiful tradition, and good for you for not letting "life" get in the way of continuing it. It's too easy to let busy and tired get in the way of meaningful. You two seem to do a great job of making sure you value your relationship. Thank you for being such a good role model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are so cute! We don't celebrate Valentine's but reading your post makes me think I should convince VT ;)
    Loved those cards and cute notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cards, and all your traditions! Dh is not so big on the "Hallmark holidays," but we have always exchanged cards & we do have little "traditions" of our own that we follow for certain things. It IS important! whether you have kids or not!

    ReplyDelete