Monday, January 19, 2015

#Microblog Mondays: Stabby Little Moments



This week, social media has not been my friend:

1) A Pinterest feed from a newly prego acquaintance that I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to block (but have no idea how)... I do not need my feed clogged with a flood of "How to stay skinny/fit/gorgeous when pregnant" pins that raise my ire because while I'm all for being fit (even though it is a state that eludes me) and healthy, it seems that the 9 months or so is perceived as a huge hurdle, maybe even inconvenience, to the otherwise hotness that needs to be maintained and regained, stat.
2) A photo posted from a party had by ladies from my cohort at Fertility Yoga where they celebrated the at-long-last baby of one lady and all got together to celebrate...but only the mommies (favorite comment: "It's just like old times, except the very big difference that we're all mommies now!"). Except some of us aren't, but no worries because those of us who didn't "Make it" kind of fell off to the wayside by both parties--there's a camaraderie between the Other Side Moms that I can't connect with. Still painful, because it reminds me just how long I've been outside of this circle.
3) Posts that flood my facebook feed that by themselves are fine but en masse make me a little sad, not to mention comments like, "Being a mom is the BEST JOB EVER" that make me feel horribly inadequate since I think I have awesome qualifications but it's like I just can't seem to match my skills up just right to truly be considered.

Bryce had his own stabby moment today, WITHOUT the benefit of social media.

He ran into a coworker he hadn't seen in a while at the gym, who informed him that he and his wife were expecting a baby. All good, except for this gem: "Yeah, we started trying a few months ago, because we decided we didn't want to run into those problems you can have when get too old, and it worked!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, on behalf of Bryce, on behalf of me, on behalf of whoever else this person may unwittingly say this to who is thinking on the inside, since it's not necessarily known on the outside, "Yup--there sure can be problems, and getting older doesn't help."

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry you've both had these stabby little moments. I had one today on FB too, so I feel I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I seriously wonder what good comes from Facebook. I'm sorry you had a stabby moment, too! Argh.

      Delete
  2. ugh. FB is aweful. I had to 'unfollow' a lot of people. Thats a thing I guess. I didnt have to have that awkward "deleting" and then run into them in person and feel the need to explain myself. Unplug for a few days. Listen to some awesome 90's music and forget about the now for at least a few minuites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely plan that I know I have absolutely no will power to execute... :) Yes, hiding from the feed I hear is lovely. I think hiding my feed from me may be the ultimate solution... Mmm, awesome 90's music. Yessss.

      Delete
  3. To block Pinterest feeds go to the person's Pinterest page and then go to the offending board. Click on "unfollow" to not see that board.

    Hope this keeps you from more stabby moments in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh THANK YOU! I am doing this RIGHT NOW. I knew there had to be some way to get rid of it. That board makes me want to vomit. I so appreciate the tip--it's sure to kill those stabby moments on Pinterest dead.

      Delete
  4. Ugh!

    I'm so sorry. With Pintrest, unfollow that particular board. Hey, unfollowing the person is just fine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was passive-aggressively adding pins to my "Someday Our Dream Will Come True, Until Then I Plan Obsessively" Board, but it just made me a tinge bit sad. Looking at maternity shoots when you're looking at no longer having pregnancy as an option is a BAD IDEA. Unfollowing is a way better idea! Yeah, I may have to unfollow the person too. I'm sure more boards are forthcoming. Thanks for the tips and the commiserating UGH! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my G-d, it's a deluge.

    I think social media can be a mixed bag because it's so concentrated. It's picture after picture after picture after post after post. Though it can also be easy to avoid and not go online sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Agreed, though, the simple solution is just to remove myself from it. The problem is,sometimes it's fine and I enjoy catching up with friends, and other times I get stabbed in the ovaries a zillion times. Hard to tell what kind of experience it will be... :)

      Delete
  6. I forget how many people I'm friends with on social media because I've unfollowed so many. My philosophy is I"ll do whatever I need to do to protect my heart. Even if that includes hurting someone else's feelings because I don't follow their social media account. Sometimes, you have to be a bit selfish. I can go and visit when it's a good time for me, versus getting hit at a bad time.

    I'm glad you keep "fighting back" with your own pins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your philosophy. I should begin the unfollowing mania myself. Yeah, passive aggressive revenge is the best on social media. Har har...

      Delete
  7. Blah on social media some days. Hope 'unfollowing' helped with the Pinterest flooding. I also like using the "secret" board function if I want to pin things that I don't like others seeing (ie Christmas shopping, home decor ideas that my bestie is sure to steal and infertility memes that make me laugh but probably appear hostile). Hope you are enjoying your relaxing and now stabby free media today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DID! It's a miracle of no fitness-for-hot-pregos in my feed! Oh, I love the idea of a secret board for infertility memes that seem hostile to others. You can enjoy them, but others don't have to label you bitter or angry (even if there's a perfect right to be a tad bitter and angry!). I am enjoying my far less stabby media self, thank you!

      Delete